Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Journaling

Do you journal? As part of this new group forming (see the past 2 posts) you will be going thru The Feeling Good Handbook by Dr. David Burns. This book has many questions to answer and worksheets to help you understand exactly what you are feeling and how it affects you. As you can tell writing your feelings and questions you have and the answers to questions in the book will be important.

So to get the ball rolling I think you should try journaling. A journal is just somewhere that you write your feelings or things that happened to you or anything you want to write. There is no right or wrong in journaling...it's your journal so you make the rules. You also decide if you will re-read what you journal. As a rule I don't usually re-read my journal until much later (months later if ever). Some people do and some don't, again there are no right and wrong answers to this. Plus you might change your mind from day to day, that's ok too.

Are you stumped how to start? First find a quiet place. This is your time. Even if you have little ones in the house please try to find 5 minutes to do this. Maybe it could be before bed or maybe when the kids are watching a video or napping. Then simply start with
Hi...Today I did... or Today I felt...

Don't over think about what to write, just write. It might feel wierd at first but I think you will learn to love it. And it doesn't have to take a long time. If all you have is 5 minutes then that's all you need to write for. Some days you might not have much to write and other days you might write a book. I do suggest that you commit to writing everyday for a week. It's like exercising...at first it is difficult to get into it, but after a few days its easier to go to the gym. A week will give you time to get used to it.

So as your first assignment I would like you to try journaling. Really try. Even if you have tried before this time might be different.

And remember to email me when you get the book so I can add you to the list.

Hugs,
Sha

2 comments:

  1. ooohhh...this one is hard. My therapist wanted me to write down my dreams and I couldn't even do that.

    Going to buy a new notebook specially for this. Will try to journal regularly. :S

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been journalling forever. I have always found it therapeutic and I never reread.

    ReplyDelete