Saturday, May 7, 2011

The begining...

You might ask me why I started this blog? You might think that I would be embarrassed to tell the world about my illness. Anyone that knows me, knows that I am all about helping others and this is my way of helping those with mental illness. I hope that if you you suffer like I do that something you read here will help you and that if you are lucky enough not to suffer from this disease that you will learn more about this disease. There is a stigma about mental illness in this country that is unacceptable and not helpful at all.
Please note that I am not a professional and don't assume to be one. I just know what has worked for me and others who I have become friends with.

My journey began 4 years ago when I was diagnosed with severe anxiety disorder and depression. I am not going to go into what led me to get 'sick'. What I am going to do is share with you things that I learned that helped me. I was lucky enough to have a wonderful support system including my hubby, kids, parents, friends and sisters. I also had a 'teacher/therapist' who changed my life. Many of the things I will blog about are what I call Scottisms, in other words things that I learned from the IOP (Intensive Out Patient) therapy. If you want to learn more of my personal story email me and I will share more with you.

Lesson #1
I can't get OVER it, I have to get THRU it.
This sentence spoke to me in a very strong way. How many times do people say to 'just get over it'? To me that meant that what ever 'it' was wasn't important and that it was something to be ignored. If you get thru 'it' you have accomplished something. Accomplishing something makes us feel good about ourselves, which when dealing with any mental illness is very important. Getting thru 'it' is something everyone should strive to do.  

No comments:

Post a Comment