Saturday, May 14, 2011

HALT

Hungry
Angry
Lonely
Tired

Do you ever feel hungry, angry, lonely or tired? I bet you do, we all do at one time or another. Over the next 4 days I will be exploring what these words mean.

Hungry:
This type of hunger is hunger/need for love, caring, concern, etc from others or hunger/need for positive feelings such as feeling love for yourself and others, feeling happiness and joy, feeling self confident, etc. When we don't have love, caring, concern, happiness, joy, self confidence, among other positive feelings in our life it's time to HALT and take a step back to see what’s really happening. I am not saying that you have to have all of these feelings at the same time, but 'the more the merrier' as the saying goes. Once you realize that you have to HALT coping mechanisms come into play.

One way that I cope with these feeling is to journal. All you need is a notebook and a pen and some time. I was hesitant to journal at first but once I started I found that the words just flowed onto the page and before I knew it I was filling up pages and pages. I encourage you to journal too. I almost always never read what I journal, but everyone is different. . I figure that I got the thoughts out and don't want to revisit them again. I do not feel guilty for what I journal, it’s my journal and not done for anyone else but myself. Also I always journal by writing not typing, when we type we tend to look the page over for grammar and spelling mistakes. I find this coping mechanism to be very beneficial and encourage you to try it.
Sha :)

1 comment:

  1. I like the idea of not reading what you journal. I am such a perfectionist that I want to make sure it is grammatically correct! LOL I'm gonna give this a try.

    ReplyDelete